Monday, September 12, 2011

Sowing the Seeds for Old Lady Duffie

Ultimately, sowing a seed is an act of faith. It is a deliberate deed that’s done to receive something in return. It is an affectionate act that creates a community of empowering hands.
Somewhere in man's written Word –the Bible- there are countless indications that the writer of what we identify as scripture was trying to convince the readers of ancient times that if one sows positively the very essence of a seed will eventually become a Reality. A bountiful harvest, 
However, if I were a manipulating preacher who is addicted to twisting bible verses the above would be my justification for ripping people off. I would be just like the plethora of crooked and shameless ministers who prey on their "flock" when times are good - and when times are extremely bad. Tithes continue to come in abundantly when the economy is going to hell in a hand basket. Go figure!

Times are ill-fated and remarkably suspect when a home-bound 85yr old woman believes that she has been 'divinely' summon by the Holy Ghost to stuff an envelope with money, address it to a location that's hundreds of miles away, then give the loot-filled chicken liver stained envelope to a trusted confidant to drop in the mail. The days of the predicted End Times are certainly lacking moral fortitude! People, including those who give themselves fancy titles such as Apostle and Bishop, are wickedly corrupt and blood-suckers of the vulnerable.
The address that’s hundreds of miles away is always flashing across the television screen when I visit Old Lady Duffie. Of late, I have been at her house every week...just to lend a hand, laugh and listen to her reminisce over a past that I am certain was so much better than the present.

This week was slightly different, like the week before, and the week before that. For the past 5 weeks Old Lady Duffie has requested me to be her mail man. But, something was unusually distinctive about this week. I with curiosity asked Duffie, "What are you sending off every week?" Her response was initially confusing, “Sonny…I am sowing seeds like Apostle asked."

After sixty seconds of listening to Old Lady Duffie explain to me without really telling me that she has been sending money (sowing) off to "help build a nation of saints" I became furious. I contained the rage until I reached my vehicle. Then as I normally do when I get consumed with anger...I threw-up.

To help me manage this persistent fury I am requesting your assistance. I refuse to allow emotionally distorted ministers control my emotions. Juanita is good at generating tears…particularly from distraught females who claim men are the reason for their sickening emotional state.

What should I do with this week’s envelope (I still have the most recent love offering) that according to Old Lady Duffie has 10 twenties in it?

Multiple Choice

A)           Steal the money
B)            Keep it to help Old Lady Duffie - and become an indirect steward of the money using it in  time of need for Old Lady Duffie and her 80yr old sister? (she is always in need of a critical item before the 1st of the month)
C)            Send the money to the Snake in the Pulpit (he has an Alabama address)
D)           Donate it to a charity that specializes in eldercare

If B is your answer, be informed that this selection –in my understanding- will assist and later confirm that a ‘seed has been sown’ when Old Lady Duffie discovers that she does not have to eat canned corn beef, canned turnip greens, or go without purchasing her and her sister’s monthly medications. They can actually live without the pressure of running out before the next set of checks come in the mail. This way I do not have to hear,

"Let’s go to Golden Coral, Sonny! We can eat all we want for breakfast and not have to worry about lunch and dinner. It is costly to eat three meals a day these days.”

I plan to be the Steward of the Money. I plan to be the Initiator of the Blessings. I will help Old Lady Duffie and her sister, Esther, produce what God wants from us: Unconditional Upendo.

Sowing seeds is a faith action. It only works when one believes. It only works when the right elements are in place. This is the only way seeds (faith) will produce (sow). Consequently, we are in control of this process through humanly dedicated and deliberate work, not a magical/mystical/holy entity.

My purposeful act (B) is the ONLY way I believe will be of immediate service to God and God’s people. *I said "God"...not Jesus*

The Pseudo Preacher


No comments:

Post a Comment