Wednesday, January 9, 2013




This book –The Inward Journey- was a required text while I was at Howard University School of Divinity. Each and every time I pick it up -that has been often over the past eight years- I stumble upon a statement from Howard Thurman that enlightens me more and more...

The Solitariness of Life

“Here we are in the presence of an essential insight into all human experience. It seems, sometimes, that it is the solitariness of life that causes it to move with such intensity and power. In the last analysis all the great moments of profoundest meaning are Solitary. We walk the ways of life together with our associates, our friends, our loved ones. How precious it is to lean upon another, to have a staggered sense of the everlasting arms felt in communion with a friend. But, there are thresholds before which all must stop and no one may enter save God, and even He in disguise. I am alone but even in my aloneness I seem sometimes to be all that there is in Life, and all that there is in Life seems to be synthesized in Me. It is a matter of more than passing interest that this element of overwhelming poignancy is relieved somewhat by a clear note of triumph.” -Howard Thurman

Perhaps, if we conquer/defeat or even embrace/hug Solitary, we may just understand our purpose.

Peace Be Still is often times associated with the story of Jesus when he and the disciples were on a boat - and a storm forms.

I have always taken biblical stories and made them my own...molded them into what I wanted despite my objections to the bible.

In this case, my story is that Jesus was ALONE when he was on that boat...figuratively and literally.

We are ALONE when no one trusts or believes that everything will be okay. We are ALONE when trouble comes.

Be Alone

The Pseudo Preacher

No comments:

Post a Comment